22 July 2009

Gingerbread Ripple Cake Recipe



As I am madly in love with gingerbread, I am always looking for new ways to use gingerbread in desserts and thought I might try a gingerbread ripples cake - a variation on the trusty old chocolate ripple cake.

Bascially there are two variations - one using Anna Gingerbread Thins (Or any other very thin gingerbread you can find) and the other using Speculaas, a Dutch biscuit. Or you could use a thicker dry gingerbread biscuit if you can't buy Speculaas.

Gingerbread Cream:
  • 1 large bottle of thickened cream
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 tbs brown sugar
Method:
  1. Add the gingerbread cream ingredients into a bowl and whip until stiff.
  2. Place a spoon of cream onto a plate and then place a gingerbread biscuit on top.
  3. Add cream to cover the bottom of the next gingerbread biscuit and place on top of the other gingerbread biscuit. You should need a bit more cream if using speculaas rather than gingerbread thins.
  4. Repeat for 6 or so biscuits, depending on how large you would like each serve to be.
5. Cover the entire stack with cream so no biscuit can be seen.
6. Sprinkle the stop with some crushed gingerbread.
7. Repeat steps 2 - 4 for each serve.
8. Refridgerate for at least 2 hours for the gingerbread thins, and at least 7 hours for
speculaas or other thicker gingerbreads to allow them to soften.
9. Enjoy and be merry!
Share:

7 comments

  1. I call this an icebox cake, but I've only recently tried my hand at it. Love the idea of using gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm a huge gingerbread fan too, but the idea of substituting speculaas for them is good too- I'll be having a layover at the Amsterdam airport next month and might have to pick some up!

    Such a fancy but simple looking cake. Love it. So fun to have stumbled upon your blog! -Siri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled here via Foodgawker and fell in love with it first because of the blog title. I'm a born and raised Wisconsinite recently relocated to southeastern Texas, and I'm having a really difficult time coping with the "one season" idea. Really, it's hot ALL YEAR?! Ugh. I am dreaming of Winter (and Autumn) more than anyone! The second reason I'm hooked is your love of gingerbread. My boyfriend is somewhat anti, and I seriously cannot fathom it. How can you hate gingerbread? It screams comfort and warmth and home. One of my favorite quotes is from William Shakespeare's 'Love's Labor Lost': "Had I but one penny in the world, thou shouldst have it for gingerbread." Right?! I look forward to visiting more often.

    Cheers,

    *Heather*

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Oneordinaryday - an icebox cake - cool! I had no idea there was another term for it. The things you learn with having people from around the word read your blog. Let me know if you make it and what you thought of it :)

    @ Siri - Lucky thing getting to pop into Amsterdam! I can't wait to go back over to Europe for christmas this year.
    If you do use the speculaas just make sure you make the ripple cake in the morning as it does take much longer than the gingerbread thins to soften.

    @ Heather - thats for stopping by and leaving a comment! I understand the hot thing, living in Australia at the moment... which is why I am probably just dreaming of winter rather than really experiencing it right now.

    I agree! How can you hate gingerbread! It is so delicious, and comes in so many different types. I think gingerbread is just not considered very cool... but hopefully I can change that one little blog post at a time.

    I had never seen that Shakespeare quote! How cute :) I am so including it in my next posting on gingerbreads.

    Have you looked at the gingerbread truffle post? That is also very very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems I have to come here more often. Wonderful collection of recipes are out here which I have been missing all these times. Ginger cake looks awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my husband loves gingerbread thins! i always make a trip to Ikea to get Anna's. I have never made them into a cake but will definitely try this now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome lone Acorn! I hope you do come more often - please let me know if you end up making anything. I'd love to see pictures!

    Welcome Raquel. Gingerbread thins are great :)
    I am sure I will come up with other ways to use them in the future and will post up the recipes. Are you from Australia? We can actually buy them in our local Coles now, but I am not sure if this is just in Melb.

    ReplyDelete

© Dreaming of Winter | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig